Saturday, June 12, 2010

Beef rendang


Today I made “beef rendang”. Like I said in my previous post, to make beef rendang is not that difficult just take a lot of times.
3 cloves garlic, 1 big onion (15 cloves shallot), galangale, ginger, lemon grass, chili (optional, but the original rendang is spicy), process all with food processor until became paste.
Put some cooking oil on the pot, add the rendang paste, lime leave and cook until brown. Add 300 gr beef (dice) and cook for awhile.
Add 800 ml thin coconut milk and cook until reduce for about 4 hours with small fire. After that add 400 ml thick coconut milk, cook until about the half and add tamarind.
Taste rendang before add salt and sugar, because beef and coconut milk will produce sweet.
Since in Kabul cannot find “gula jawa” (palm sugar) I use brown sugar and splash of vinegar as the substitute of tamarind.

Please be informed, the original beef rendang should be cooked until dry and become dark brown.

Have beef rendang with hot steam rice and fried shallot.

I want to thank to Eva Muharti, a friend of mine who came from West Sumatra, where rendang came from.

She added on the recipe with coriander, star anis, cumin, coriander leaf and no sugar. And that is the original recipe from West Sumatra.
For the recipe, please refer to her comment in this post.

Kabul, 12 June 2010

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Win, as a promised I read your Blog, its nice I think I'll make a similar blog like yours someday :)
Your rendang recipe a little bit different with my mom's recipe, she came from Bukittinggi, West Sumatra where originally rendang came from you know where it is.

Well,based on my mom's rendang recipe, you should add the ingredients with: half spoon coriander, a bit of cumin,a bit of "hadas manis" in english sweet ...?, put 1-2 lemon grass, lemon leaf, turmeric leaf and salam leaf. I think since you're in Kabul it would be difficult to find some leafs that I mentioned is it? My mom's recipe do not use a sugar so far as I knew Padang people do not like sugar put in their cooking hehehe :-)

For cooking the rendang also different: Coconut milk with paste boiled until seethe, add beef and cooks couple of hours until dry, so do need to fry the paste first since it will cook for a long time :)

I ever tried this recipe twice, it quite a long time to cooks rendang but it really really worth it,isn't? :D

Salam from Aceh
cheers,
Eva

Unknown said...

Wow... thank you very much for your original mother recipe, actually I use lemon grass and salam leaf (I have some stock from Indonesia for any kind of leafs) as well but I forgot to wrote (I will updated later).
Is hadas manis in English "Star Anis"?

If you don't mind, I will put the original recipe on my blog :-D

Yes, it's taking ages to make rendang but its worth it indeed.

For sugar, I will take that as a consideration, since I am a Javanese.. hehehehehe

Thanks again,

Windu

Unknown said...

yes, you already used lime leaf and lemon grass, sorry I'm excited to commented your recipe hehehe...
Now I know Hadas Manis in english is Star Anis, thanks Win

I don't mind you put it in your blog...silahkan :-)

Susi Puspitorini said...

rendang ga pakai daun ketumbar tapi pakai daun kunyit + merica, kemiri (optional, katanya kalau pengen hitam ga usah pakai), semua bumbu halus, termasuk cabai, dicampur sama daging trus dimasak sampai air daging keluar semua, setelah airnya habis langsung tambahin santan kental (ga pakai gula)